News that the HSE won’t fund Cystic Fibrosis drug Orkambi is ‘devastating’ according to Julie Forster, but she is not going to let it prevent her from keeping up the fight to get access to the drug for her daughter.
At the weekend, the Sunday Business Post broke the news that the drug will be rejected for use by the HSE after their drug committee recommended against funding the drug at a recent meeting. According to the article, the committee, which includes several senior clinicians, decided it did not deliver enough benefits to patients to justify its €159,000 price tag.
Ballindaggin resident Julie Forster, whose three-year-old Ruth suffers from the illness, learned of the news through a Tweet on Saturday night, only days before she and members of a CF action group for parents will hold a presentation in the Dail to push for the funding of the drug.
‘The way it broke is just disgraceful. Members of the Cystic Fibrosis community and even Cystic Fibrosis Ireland learned of the news through a Tweet. We took that pretty hard and at first, we were wondering if it was misinformation,’ she said. ‘It just shows the way that the CF community is treated in general. Apparently Simon Harris didn’t even know about this. The fact that they went to the newspapers first is a disgrace.’
Julie said that she was ‘absolutely devastated’ to learn of the news, which according to her, has taken away a lot of hope for parents and sufferers of Cystic Fibrosis. The possibility that the drug may not be funded by the HSE would also bring the drug trials, that several people around Ireland are currently undertaking, to a halt. Though Julie’s daughter is not currently trialling Orkambi and is ‘quite well’ at the moment, she said that this could affect several families that she knows.
‘I am in touch with some families whose teenagers are on the trials and are doing really well. They have been on it for three years and can’t contemplate what life would be like if they are taken off the drug,’ she said.
Despite the huge disappointment brought by the recent news, Julie is still prepared to fight in the Dail on Thursday along with representatives from 14 other families who are affected by the illness.
‘This Thursday, we will still do our presentation and hope that we can get as many TDs as we can to back it. Simon Harris has the power to overturn the decision but he has said in the past that he wouldn’t. The drug company Vertex have issued a statement saying that they are still willing to negotiate on the price. So our options are either to negotiate on the price or make Minister Harris change his mind,’ she said. ‘We are hoping that we will come to some agreement.’
Julie has invited the five Wexford ministers to the presentation and has received responses from all of them. James Browne has promised to attend the meeting, while Mick Wallace said either he or a representative will be there. She was informed that Brendan Howlin will do his best to attend. Paul Kehoe is unavailable but has contacted the group to say that he will meet them on another date. Meanwhile, Michael D’arcy said that he could not attend.
Other members of the group nationwide have also called on their TDs to attend, while all are encouraging people to attend a separate march to the Dail on December 7.
‘We have received quite a promising response from TDs. Hopefully when they come out, they will learn more about the illness. It might help them to put faces to numbers,’ said Julie. ‘It is a matter of trying to get this funded and in my opinion, it has to be done. It is a matter of life and death to some people.’
(First published in the Enniscorthy Guardian newspaper: print edition. Also available online at: http://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/enniscorthy-mother-wont-give-up-fight-for-her-cf-daughter-35251969.html)